Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment Plan
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) has completed a 16 step DEI commitment plan for implementation.
- Develop a dedicated link to DEI and Multicultural Affairs [Progress: 100%]
- Establish a DEI Council at Lenoir Rhyne [Progress: 100%]
- Establish an anonymous system to report incidents of bias or discriminatory treatment [Progress: 70%]
- Review curriculum to seek opportunities for inclusiveness [Progress: 60%]
- Promote and Support DEI professional development for faculty and staff [Progress: 60%]
- Build Corporate partnerships to support a DEI mentoring and scholars program [Progress: 30%]
- Create inclusive workforce [Progress: 60%]
- Support campus events and create dialogue opportunities [Progress: 70%]
- Serve as a community partner to organizations that promote equity and inclusion [Progress: 30%]
- Work with faculty to establish and build a diverse speaker series [Progress: 60%]
- Implement online/certificate discriminatory and bias training for faculty and staff [Progress: 50%]
- Create an inclusion teammate system [Progress: 100%]
- Establish an annual DEI inclusion award for faculty, staff and a student [Progress: 25%]
- Identify an LR alumnus/a and board member to support DEI [Progress: 25%]
- Utilize social media to support a robust marketing campaign for DEI [Progress: 70%]
- Establish a university-specific policy that supports DEI [Progress: 30%]
Campus Wide Initiatives
Curriculum and Faculty
- Provided training opportunities for PRC regarding bias in the tenure and promotion process.
- Many of our majors include required courses in race, gender and ethnicity.
- Faculty are decolonizing syllabi for a more inclusive and equitable course.
- Recruiting and finding opportunities for all students - inclusion of special needs and in diverse settings.
- A focus on creating a more diverse faculty body, both in full-time and part-time faculty.
- Instituted rubrics for hiring staff positions. Developing a faculty hiring rubric to start with the current open position.
- DEI statement on all position announcements. DEI letter submission requirement for all applicants.
- Global Village which consists of 24-32 residential students that are a diverse population of United States students and International students in which they host student-led events and programming from their respective living areas.
- 200 tickets were offered to International students to assist in transportation around Hickory through the Greenway Transportation System.
Mission, Engagement and Innovation
Undergraduate and Graduate Admission
- Traveling to historically marginalized/underrepresented student population communities and high schools to recruit.
- Revamping orientation to include an overnight stay, breakout sessions for families and more.
- Adding various campus entities to market their resources to showcase the diverse and inclusive environment
- Marketing through social media, the amenities and resources LR offers to stimulate more applicants.
- An annual mandatory DEI and multicultural training for residence directors and resident advisors that takes place prior to opening.
- Ensures that the staff is diverse to represent the students in the residential halls (i.e. LGBTQIA, African American, Latinx/Hispanic, Caucasian, Asian, etc.)
- Pronoun usage and preferred names
- Director provides living accommodations if requested and required for religious faiths, gender-affirming housing, etc.
Health and Wellness
- A diverse staff that is open-minded and competent in all aspects of counseling such as LGBTQIA, race and ethnicities, religions/beliefs, mental health, etc
- Celebrating cultural holidays and holy days to celebrate with all religious faiths.
- A prayer room for Muslim / Islamic students
- Reaching out to diverse populations to assist with weekly worship so that all religions are represented.
- Athletic staff modules and monthly meetings with round table discussions
- Monthly listening sessions with each roster, different events/impacts on student-athletes
- Network with campus partners to foster a space of inclusivity.
- Established a Student-Athletes DEI Leadership Council comprising athletes from various sports teams, faculty, and staff to assist in an equity-minded and inclusive atmosphere.