- Ways to Give
- The Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne
- President's Society
- Endowment Opportunities
- Faculty-Staff Giving
- Advancement Staff
- Walk of Honor
- Loyal Bears Society
Ways to Give
With the generous financial support of Lenoir-Rhyne alumni, parents, friends, and faculty, attending LR has become a reality for thousands of students. By supporting LR through the Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne, you are helping to hone their skills, forge their futures, and truly make a difference in their lives and the world over. Whether you give to pay it forward, show your pride, or invest in our future generations of leaders, know that your continuous contributions are appreciated and invested wisely in our future alumni. Thank you!
By far the easiest way to give. Make a one-time gift to the university.
You can also give by contacting us toll-free at 800.361.2704 or speak to a Gifts Officer at 828.328.7321 Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm.
Honor the memory of a loved one, celebrate a friend or faculty member, share in a family celebration, or send wishes to a friend or your favorite professor. When making your gift, simply indicate the person whom you wish to honor. Family members or the honored individual can be notified upon request. It’s a special way to make your gift more meaningful.
If you wish, you may make your gift via check, payable to:
PO Box 7467
Hickory, NC 28603
Call us toll-free at 800.361.2704 or speak to a Gifts Officer at 828.328.7321 Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm.
PAYROLL DEDUCTION FOR LR FACULTY & STAFF
Contact Donna Bowman in the Payroll Office at 828.328.7185 to set your automatic donation today. The office hours are Monday - Friday from 8 am - 5 pm.
Choose the planned gift that is right for you. Options include bequests, wills, trusts, and more. Contact Liz Cox, assistant vice president of development, at 828.328.7322 or email@example.com.
GIFT TYPES/AREAS TO SUPPORT
- University’s Greatest Need: The Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne
- Planned Gift
- Endowment/Scholarship Support
- Visiting Writers Series
- Bears Club
- Friends of Music
YEAR-END TAX ADVANTAGES
The end of the year is a great time to make the most of your gift to Lenoir-Rhyne University. Thank you for your kind consideration to help LR provide an exceptional education.
CONSIDER THE TAX ADVANTAGES OF THESE END-OF-YEAR STRATEGIES
- A gift of appreciated stock could exceed the benefits of a cash gift by providing additional tax savings.
- Avoid capital gains tax
- Income tax charitable deduction
- Are you age 70 ½ or older? If so, you can transfer a gift directly from your IRA to Lenoir-Rhyne University and satisfy your required minimum distribution without paying any taxes on the withdrawal.
- Gift must transfer directly from your plan administrator to Lenoir-Rhyne University
- You won’t pay taxes on the transfer, so there is no additional income tax deduction
- A life income gift can generate income for life and tax savings for you.
- You can use cash, stock, or real estate to make the gift
- If you donate appreciated stock or real estate you can avoid immediate capital gains tax
What is The Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne?
Through the Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne donors make sure that the University has the resources to train and prepare students for exciting vocations of the 21st century. At the same time, this Fund allows the University to respond to its ever-changing needs, while maintaining its commitment to preparing students for lives of leadership and service. Support from this fund is primarily directed to student need, scholarships, and financial assistance.
The Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne is the cornerstone of all fundraising efforts at the University and is founded on the belief that every generation should support those who follow. Every dollar given through this fund is immediately put to work in support of LR’s students who have a passion to serve and a desire to lead. Remember that a student’s LR experience starts with you and your gifts. Gifts that make every LR student's journey possible.
As a student of Lenoir-Rhyne, I am grateful that you have made a gift to the University. Gifts like yours make our education possible. We hope you know how much your continued support is APPRECIATED. After all, your gift, combined with others, make attending Lenoir-Rhyne possible." - Stephen Davidson
Why Alumni Giving Matters
The Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne supports every student, professor, program, and department on campus. It provides the flexibility to respond to changing circumstances and to take advantage of new opportunities. It helps to bridge the gap between the actual cost of educating a student and the comprehensive fee. No matter the size – every gift truly counts.
The President’s Society at Lenoir-Rhyne University is composed of individuals, corporations and foundations that generously support the University and its mission with gifts of $1,500 or more per year. Members serve as goodwill ambassadors for the University, encouraging and inspiring alumni and friends to join them in providing exceptional educational opportunities for our students.
At Lenoir-Rhyne, approximately 92% of our students receive financial aid. All gifts to the University ultimately result in more financial aid being available to our students. Your partnership makes it possible to continue offering life-changing opportunities to students. We are grateful for your trust and pledge to be good stewards of your resources.
Established in 1997, the President’s Society recognizes individual, corporate and foundation donors who have made gifts at the President's Club, Fair Stars, and Old Main levels.
Members of the President’s Society set the pace for all gifts to the University. They inspire our alumni and friends to join them in supporting the mission of Lenoir-Rhyne. We recognize our charter members and sincerely thank you for your membership in the President’s Society of Lenoir-Rhyne University.
|The President's Society|
|Old Main||$10,000 and over|
*Alumni who graduated in the past 10 years pay $500.
*Alumni who graduated in the past 5 years pay $250.
Young Alumni Members of the President's Society
As an LR graduate, you experienced the gifts from President’s Society members. Now, you have the opportunity to give back. If you are an alumni who has graduated in the past 5 years you can become a President’s Society member for only $250. Alumni who graduated 6-10 years ago may be a member for $500. An added benefit comes with graduates who are employed by companies that offer a matching gift program. Please inquire about matching gifts with your company’s human resource department.
Guidelines for Establishing Endowed Funds
- Named funds for general student scholarships may be established at Lenoir-Rhyne University with a minimum gift of $25,000. Pledges may be fulfilled at the donor’s convenience anytime over a three-year period. An endowment agreement is signed by the donor and the President of the University.
- The amount of revenue earned by a named fund is determined by the overall earnings of the university’s pooled funds.
- Normally, earnings are awarded annually as they accrue in accordance with the endowment agreement once the fund reaches the minimum level.
- Additional gifts may be added to the fund at any time through current or deferred gifts such as will provisions, by the donor or by other friends and family.
- Recipients for scholarship funds are selected by the office of financial aid using the government approved financial aid information. Academic departments and other resources may be used as appropriate in the selection process.
- The named fund will be listed in a University publication which provides descriptions and awarding guidelines of all University endowed funds.
- The recommended time frame for the completion of funding the $25,000 minimum is three years. Funds that are not raised to the $25,000 level within the agreed upon time frame become part of the University’s general endowment.
- The University provides annual reports to donors of fund performance and/or current status.
- The University uses an endowment spending rate formula referred to as the “three-year average of market.” This formula is used to calculate the funds released on an annual basis by taking average market value of the endowed fund on May 31 of the previous three years and multiplying it by the university’s spending rate. The spending rate for the university is set by the Finance and Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees on an annual basis. (Yr + Yr+Yr)/3=$ This average multiplied by our spending rate will enable the university to release funds for use by the recipient of this scholarship.
Currently, named funds are available as follows based on Centennial-Renewal campaign objectives:
|Faculty Enrichment||Other Endowed Funds|
Full tuition, room board
|$500,000||Distinguished Chair||$1,500,000||Named Fund Minimum||$25,000|
|Full Tuition||$350,000||Endowed Full Professorships||$1,000,000|
|General Named fund minimum||$25,000||Faculty Professional Development||$250,000|
|Set Criteria Named fund minimum||$100,000|
Thank you to all Lenoir-Rhyne University Faculty and Staff
Faculty and staff gifts to Lenoir-Rhyne University have an immeasurable impact on the daily lives of our students. Your generous donations help to bridge the gap between the actual cost of educating a student and the comprehensive fee. Each gift - no matter the amount - helps make it possible for the University to continue to offer students quality higher education opportunities and one-of-a-kind experiences that extend well beyond the classroom. Thank you for your commitment, dedication, and all you do to make LRU a great place to live, work and learn.
Lenoir-Rhyne offers faculty and staff the opportunity to be a member of the President’s Society through a matching gift. If a member of the faculty and staff gives $750 in the fiscal year, the University will match the remaining $750, beginning January 1, 2019. Faculty and staff contributions already pledged for the 2018-19 fiscal year through payroll deductions will remain the same through May 31, 2019. If you would like to contribute using payroll deduction, please contact the LR Business Office.
Leave a lasting reminder of your LR journey with a personalized brick on the Walk of Honor. A brick is the perfect way to celebrate your time at LR or to honor a special alum in your life.
The Walk of Honor's path begins at The Charge across from Shuford Memorial Gymnasium and extends toward the statue of Martin Luther and Grace Chapel.
Bricks are 4 inches high by 8 inches long and can fit up to two lines of text with 15 characters each. They are typically installed once a year before Homecoming.
Bricks are $250 and $150 for alumni within one year of graduation. You will receive a commemorative certificate that you can frame or provide as a gift.
Questions? Contact Jayne Abernethy, assistant director of donor engagement or call 828.328.7081.
As a Lenoir-Rhyne supporter, you have the opportunity to become a part of the Loyal Bears Society, which recognizes and honors loyal contributors to Lenoir-Rhyne University. Members of the Loyal Bears Society are a faithful community of donors with a deep commitment to the long legacy of the University. Your investment strengthens the Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne which supports every student, faculty member, and program at the University and enables Lenoir-Rhyne to provide a transformative educational experience.
Becoming a member of LRU’s Loyal Bears Society is easy. When you give for three consecutive years, you are recognized as a member of the Loyal Bears Society. The more years you commit to giving, the greater the impact your gifts have. It’s easy to become a member; just make a gift of any amount for at least three consecutive fiscal years (June 1 - May 31) or join today by making a three-year pledge.
We already have more than 1,700 alumni and friends who are Loyal Bears. Will you join the ranks for our most loyal donors? Join today.Acknowledgment
Lenoir-Rhyne is thankful for the faithfulness and loyalty of its contributors and the commitment they make to the University every year. Loyal donors are recognized by:
- Annual “Loyal Bear” magnet
- Special recognition event will be on Monday, April 1 at 6 pm. Loyal Bears will be celebrated at a pre-game picnic when the Bears take on the Hickory Crawdads in an exhibition game at L.P. Frans Stadium, Hickory. Game time is 6:30 pm. For more information, contact Jayne Abernethy at Jayne.firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-328-7081.
Everyone who knows Lenoir-Rhyne agrees-there's something special about our University. As an alum, parent or friend you know that we uphold our institutional values of excellence, integrity, care and curiosity. As a student of LR, you may have had a professor who challenged you to find answers, a coach who inspired you to lead, or a mentor who set you on the right professional path. As a friend of LR, you may have had the opportunity to participate in the many events offered during the academic year as well as share your gifts as a volunteer, mentor, or donor. No matter what your connection to Lenoir-Rhyne, you know it is a place that is making a difference in the lives of its students and community members.
Your gifts to the Fund for Lenoir-Rhyne continue to make it possible for the University to offer quality higher education and one-of-a-kind experiences for its students. With your help, students are able to receive a well-rounded education with opportunities that extend well beyond the classroom.
The New Life Fund is the lifeblood of the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary. Gifts to this fund provide the resources for educating future pastors and leaders of the church. In addition, they provide state-of-the-art teaching technologies for the classroom.