Resource Guide & Policies

Resource Guide on Sex/Gender Discrimination, Harassment and Misconduct - University Policies, Resources and Services

If You Have Experienced Sex/Gender Discrimination and Misconduct

Read the Full Policy

Immediate Steps

Go to a safe location as soon as you are able and contact someone you trust. 

Seek immediate medical attention if you are injured or you or others are involved in a continuing threat to your safety and security. 

Contact 911 or any of the following for immediate assistance: 

  • Hickory Campus Security - 828.328.7146 (24/7)
  • Asheville Police Department - 828.252.1110 (24/7)
  • Columbia Campus Security - 803.461.3268 (24/7)
  • Residence Life Staff, including RAs and Directors - 828.328.7249

Within 24 Hours

Seek out confidential support. You may want to talk to a confidential counselor for support and advice. They will talk with you about your options for additional support services and reporting. 

Get medical attention for a sexual or physical assault. A medical provider can check for and treat physical injury, sexually transmitted infections, and pregnancy. You do not need to make a formal report or press charges to seek medical care. 

Preserve evidence. After sexual violence, do not shower until you have considered whether to have a no-cost forensic sexual assault examination at the hospital, within 96 hours of the assault, and save the clothes you were wearing (unwashed) in a paper or cloth bag. After sexual violence, relationship violence, and/or stalking, take photos of any damage or injury and keep communication records. 

Consider making a report. You are encouraged to report what happened to the Title IX Coordinator or a Title IX Deputy Coordinator. You can decide how much you would like to participate in any investigation process. You can also report to another staff or faculty, who will help you and connect you with people who can help like the Title IX Coordinator, Confidential Resources, Student Life, or Security Services. 

At Any Time

Lenoir-Rhyne can help. Campus-based resources, like the Title IX Coordinator, Dean of Student Life, Residence Life, and Security Services staff can help and can direct you to important resources both on- and off-campus. 

Those who want incidents to be handled criminally can also contact Security Services, or the police station, where the assault occurred. A campus official is available to accompany students in making such reports, if desired. Contact the Title IX Coordinator or one of the Title IX Deputy Coordinators for more information.