ABOUT THE MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION IN SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP
Our lives are replete with examples of successful entrepreneurial stories that are impacting the world in profound ways. LR combines solid business principles, entrepreneurial innovativeness, and passion to empower graduates to improve the world, in its new Master of Business Administration in Social Entrepreneurship.
In Fall 2017, Social Entrepreneurship joins the list of LR’s MBA programs, which furnish students exceptional opportunities for professional development and advancement in a wide range of areas in business, commerce, and other organizational settings. MBA programs are offered at both LR’s Hickory and Asheville campuses through our innovative delivery model that allows students multiple means of access to the curriculum (from term-to-term or even course-to-course): face-to-face instruction on one of the two campuses, online instruction through synchronous “streaming” classrooms, or asynchronous delivery through online video presentations. Full-time faculty mentors — a longstanding component on the program — are available on both campuses to support other student needs, as well. Our MBA in Social Entrepreneurship is coordinated through our Asheville Center — in one of the nation’s leading metropolitan regions for these activities.
MBA students may begin their program studies any semester (summer, fall, or spring term). As a non-cohort program, students can complete the curriculum at their own pace — full-time or part-time. Any practicum experiences can be completed close to home at the students’ greater convenience.
The philosophy of the MBA program at Lenoir-Rhyne University focuses upon five core beliefs that constitute the program's educational emphasis;
- First, it maintains a managerial emphasis: the program focuses upon providing its students those lessons and applications that help them manage people and resources to achieve results.
- Second, the program has a decision-making, orientation. Analysis alone can never be an end in itself. In an environment of imperfect and incomplete information, students must be prepared to understand the risks and rewards of decision making and to be responsible for the consequences that ensue.
- The third cornerstone of the program's philosophy is articulated in its attention to creative problem solving. Business leaders must engage individual creativity and innovation; more importantly, they must be able to develop the creative abilities of those in their employment.
- Fourth, today's managers must have global perspective. As the world's economies grow evermore closely linked, thinking globally enhances opportunity and confronts competitive realities.
- Finally, and most importantly, the program is about shaping managers who behave ethically. Quality decision making requires that business leaders always consider the ethical components for all stakeholders, cultivated by means of a reflective and thoroughly considered set of moral principles.
LR’s MBA in Social Entrepreneurship furnishes students excellent preparation for career opportunities in this professional arena. The program combines courses in essential Business core areas like Management, Marketing, Organizational Behavior, Communication, and Entrepreneurship that are specifically focused on preparation for careers in social entrepreneurship with required courses in various entrepreneurial competency areas and practicum experiences.
LR’s MBA in Social Entrepreneurship is a 36-hour program. Students may complete the program at their own pace — full-time students generally can finish their degree in four semesters. Undergraduate students entering the MBA through LR’s innovative Bridges to Dreams program — available only to LR’s undergraduates — are able to finish in an even shorter amount of time.