The University Commons is a two-building complex that features conference rooms, a reception area, and office space. The facility is located near Moretz Stadium and serves as an anchor for the west side of campus.
“The benefits of this project will be felt throughout the Lenoir-Rhyne community as campus leaders bring together students, faculty, alumni and community leaders in a residential setting. The casual meeting spaces will provide venues for planned and impromptu meetings, exploring new ideas and making new friends. The dining spaces will provide a comfortable setting for both large and small groups. These two houses will be nestled among the trees and surrounded by natural areas. The Commons will exceed expectations by providing a venue to support campus activities for all. We are excited to see the west end of campus find a new life. Please join us in supporting LRU Commons.”
- Duane and Madeleine Dassow
- Renovate current President's home
- Faculty, staff, and student groups come together for seminars, workshops, retreats, and meetings
- Upstairs will provide space for administrative or academic offices
- Construction of a new building to comprise the president's home with indoor/outdoor event space
- Welcome prospective students and families, gather with students and faculty, and host alumni, parents, and friends.
- Partner with community leaders and distinguished guests for events like the Visiting Writers Series, etc.
- Increased engagement for alumni with students and staff
- Gateway to welcome community members
- Raises the academic profile of the institution and becomes a catalyst for recruiting excellence to the University
The Commons will bring together the entire LR family – faculty, students, staff, alumni, and friends – and help build our sense of community, a hallmark of the LR experience. This beautiful addition will anchor the west side of campus and allow us to offer valuable engagement opportunities that are not possible today."
- Dr. Fred Whitt, University President
After a comprehensive review of our campus facilities, we saw the need for dedicated space to host campus and community events. The University Commons will be the centerpiece of our efforts to create a stronger sense of community among students, faculty, and staff. We also envision the Commons helping us to increase alumni engagement activities and to network with our surrounding community. We recognize the value of partnerships that support our academic endeavors and are confident this facility will benefit both LR and the Hickory community.
- Dr. Gary Johnson, University Provost