Helen & Leonard Moretz Stadium Renovation
Home to one of the best game-day environments in Division II football, Helen and Leonard Moretz Stadium has been part of the LR community since 1924.
In addition to hosting football and men’s and women’s lacrosse, the stadium has become a treasured part of the Lenoir-Rhyne experience as the backdrop for commencement and campus events, as well as community events like concerts, high school graduations, camps and youth sports.
In summer 2019, we identified issues of structural integrity that needed to be addressed immediately. Rather than simply fix the structural issues, we viewed this as an opportunity to set the stage for LR athletics for the next 100 years.
Through this project, we will be able to position ourselves as among the best athletic program in Division II; be prepared for future opportunities to explore competing at the next level; have a competitive advantage in recruiting talented student-athletes; and provide the community a top-notch game-day experience.
This renovation is just one part of Lenoir-Rhyne University’s larger five-year strategic plan, Pivoting to a New Level of Excellence, to enhance our campus and athletic community,
- New home grandstands on the west side with wider rows and seatbacks
- Renovation of the east side and end-zone bleachers
- New press box and President’s Box, including the addition of an elevator and heating and cooling
- New entrance on the east side
- Covered VIP suites and VIP viewing areas
- Walk of Champions, connecting Moretz Sports Complex
- New restrooms, concession areas and ticket booths to better meet fan expectations
- New locker room for men’s and women’s lacrosse with a team lounge area
- New video board
- Addition of team ramp and field entrance
- New wrought iron fencing with brick columns
- Lighting upgrades to better facilitate web streaming and televised productions
- Enhanced branding to showcase LR school spirit
- ADA-accessible seating, press box elevator and paved tailgate entrance
- Press Box
- President’s Box
- VIP Overlook (Club Seating Area)
- Lacrosse Field House
- Video Board/Scoreboard
- Endow Head Coach Position (3)
- Endow Assistant Coach Positions (10)
West Side EntranceSOLD!
- Main Entrance Plaza
- VIP Luxury Suites (8) 7 sold, only 1 remaining
- West Side Concourse
- Stadium Entrance
- Champions Walk
- Seating Sections/Press box side
- Elevator/Lobby Atrium to Press Box
- Press Area—Middle Section
- Stadium Charge Statue
- Lacrosse Locker Rooms & Lounge (3)
- Seating Sections/East Side
- Student Section/End Zone
- Concession Stands (3)
- Radio Areas (2)
- Coaches Rooms (2)
- Fencing Columns
The renovation of Moretz Stadium will include the addition of luxury suites and a VIP club seating area, making it one of the few venues in Division II with this unique offering and game-day experience. These suites provide the opportunity for entertaining your family, friends, classmates and guests in one of the best game-day atmospheres in Division II. VIP suites are also a great option for corporate entities wanting to host business clients while also receiving prominent brand exposure.
Your suite package includes game tickets, reserved VIP parking, game programs, HD TVs, personal refrigerator and the opportunity to stock the suite with your own beverages. Food packages will be available for purchase separately.
There will be eight suites on the west side of the stadium, with four located on the Press Box level and four on the President’s Box level. The suites are positioned on the 40-yard line, providing optimal sight lines for fans to take in the game. The units are fully accessible with direct access to the unit through the press box elevator or via the staircase.
They are fully enclosed suites with both air-conditioning/heating and the ability to open the windows to enjoy the game in open air. Suites are equipped with a kitchenette, access to a private restroom, and other key amenities exclusive to these private viewing areas. An additional suite will be located on the southeast corner of the stadium.
- 12 suite tickets for Press Box level suites, 12 suite tickets for President’s Box level suites, 20 suite tickets for the suite in the southeast corner of the stadium
- Reserved VIP parking passes
- Tiered seating for optimal spectator sightlines with comfortable luxury seats
- Access to a private bathroom
- Fully equipped kitchenette, including a private refrigerator
- Complimentary game-day programs
- Access to suite two hours prior to the game and one hour after the game
- High-definition TV with access to key game-day channels
- Open-air access so you can hear the crowd noise and be part of the action, yet suites also offer air-conditioning and heating to ensure you and your guests are comfortable
- Access the day before games to stock your refrigerator with beverages
- Ability to order food packages with rotating menu (at additional cost)
We anticipate very strong demand for these suites. They will be offered initially with lifetime naming rights for a gift of $500,000, plus a perpetual annual membership to the Bears Club at a minimum of $5,000. Donors will receive permanent signage recognition in their respective suite along with recognition on the prestigious Centennial Campaign donor wall and other University giving society level acknowledgement.
Located in the southwest corner of the stadium, the VIP club seating section will allow you to enjoy the game action with a preferred location. The VIP club section will seat 42 fans in luxury chair seatbacks with the space to move around and enjoy the game and easy access to the concourse, restrooms and concession areas. Club seating members will also enjoy in game beverage service and hospitality and will have private restrooms.
- 4 tickets to the game
- 2 passes to the VIP club section
- In-game beverage service and hospitality
- 1 VIP parking pass (paved area in Bears Club Tailgate lot)
- Access to club seating private restrooms
- Pre-game and halftime access to the Bears Club Pavilion for 2
- All other Bears Club benefits at the Legacy Bear Level
A pair of seats in the VIP Club requires a minimum contribution of $25,000 over five years, plus an ongoing annual contribution to the Bears Club of $2,500. Donors will receive recognition displayed prominently within the club seating area, as well as recognition on the prestigious Centennial Campaign donor wall and other university giving society level acknowledgement.
Planned Giving Opportunities
Planned gifts are not typically an option for capital projects because the building and construction cannot wait for the gifts to be realized. For this project, LR will use an innovative approach that will allow supporters with an avenue to make a larger and more impactful gift than they ever thought possible through a planned gift. Donors who meet the criteria may designate a planned gift to this project and realize opportunities for recognition now.
- Irrevocable planned gifts of more than $250,000 can be applied to the Moretz Stadium renovation for donors who are 65 or older by the end of the campaign, December 31, 2024.
- A gift that includes a planned gift component and a cash gift or five-year pledge is encouraged.
- To be eligible for naming opportunities, a cash gift or five-year pledge equal to at least 30% of the planned gift is required.
- Planned gifts require appropriate documentation to be counted.
- Existing planned gifts may be designated to Moretz Stadium project with appropriate documentation.
- All donors with documented planned gifts will become members of the Heritage Society, Lenoir-Rhyne’s planned giving society.
For More Information
To learn more about the Helen and Leonard Moretz Stadium renovation, please contact Andy Anderson, executive director of development, at email@example.com or 828.328.7167.