Types of Aid

At Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, we believe you should have the opportunity to fulfill your calling. As a seminarian student, you may qualify for financial assistance. Explore funding opportunities and other financial resources for your graduate studies.

Learn more about your options so you can maximize the assistance that you are offered.

Federal Assistance

Learn about financial assistance that is available through federal sources. 

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

    Known as FAFSA, this federal funding is completed annually by current and prospective college students – undergraduate and graduate – to determine your eligibility for financial aid. You can file the FAFSA beginning October 1. You must complete a new FAFSA each year you attend seminary school.

    Learn About FAFSA
  • Unsubsidized Loan

    If you’re eligible, federal student loans help you cover higher education costs at a four-year college or university. Unsubsidized loans are not based on financial needs. You are eligible for up to $20,500 per year in the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan program, provided you remain enrolled at least half time in a degree-seeking program. Interest begins accumulating as soon as funds are disbursed and until the loan is paid in full.

    Learn About Unsubsidized Loans
  • PLUS Loan

    Federal loans that graduate or professional students and parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay for college or career school. PLUS loans can help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid.

    View PLUS Loans Information
  • Grad PLUS Loan

    A federal student loan is available to support you in graduate school or professional school. It offers a fixed interest rate and flexible loan limits. Eligibility does not depend on demonstrated financial need, but you need to file FAFSA to qualify. The Grad PLUS Loan allows you to borrow up to the total annual cost of attendance minus other financial aid received.

    View Grad Plus Loan Information

Seminary Scholarships

Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary scholarships support graduate students earning a degree in theology and ministry, and we are grateful to our generous donors who make these awards possible. 

  • ELCA Fund for Leaders
    The ELCA Fund for Leaders helps financially support students studying at ELCA seminaries who have demonstrated outstanding leadership potential and exceptional gifts for ministry.
  • LTSS Endowed Scholarships
    LTSS Endowed Scholarships are made possible by the generosity of donors and friends of the seminary who are invested in encouraging and empowering future church leaders.
  • Seminary Scholarships – Synod
    The ELCA believes firmly in providing financial support for its future leaders. We see this quite often at the Synod level, where students may find financial support in various forms.
  • Seminary Scholarships – Church
    Please speak directly with your church or pastor to determine if there may be options available.
View Seminary Scholarships

Veteran Benefits

Lenoir-Rhyne University is a military-inclusive university and proudly welcomes all active-duty military, veterans, military spouses, and family members. We thank you for your service and for the sacrifices you and your family have made for our country.

We welcome applicants who have experienced the breadth and diversity of military life. LR offers a broad range of high-quality, affordable undergraduate and graduate academic programs supported by exceptional student services.

Learn more about veteran students at Lenoir-Rhyne.

If you have questions, please contact Kimberly Oder, coordinator of veteran’s benefits, at kimberly.oder@lr.edu or 828.328.7228.

NOTE: Military Service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling at Lenoir-Rhyne University.

  • G.I. Bill

    Veterans benefits are used in addition to the financial aid offered by Lenoir-Rhyne.

    • Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty
      Available for qualified active duty and those separated/retired from active duty in the armed forces within the last 10 years. (rare exceptions to 10-year rule).
    • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill
      For anyone with at least 90 days of aggregate service since 09/10/01. Valid for 15 years from the last date of qualifying service. Veterans with eligibility for other programs must make an irrevocable election to switch to Chapter 33. If your release from active duty was before January 1, 2013, there is a 15-year time limitation for use of benefits. For individuals whose last discharge date is on or after January 1, 2013, the time limitation has been removed.
    • Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve
      Available for current members of guard/reserve units who meet specific requirements.

    Chapter 33 tuition and fees come directly to the university, while Chapter 30 and Chapter 1606 are direct deposit payments.

  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation

    Available only for qualified veterans with a service-connected disability.

    • Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness and Employment
      Available only for qualified veterans with a service-connected disability. This program pays tuition, fees, books and supplies to the school and a monthly allowance to the vet.
  • Military Dependents Education Benefits

    Available to spouse and/or children of a vet who is 100% permanently and totally disabled or who died after such a service-connected disability was established.

    • Chapter 35 – Dependents’ Education Assistance
      Available to spouse and/or children of a vet who is 100% permanently and totally disabled or who died after such a service-connected disability was established. It is also available for dependents of an MIA or POW service member (dependent children may also be eligible for the NC Veteran Children scholarship).
  • Military Tuition Assistance (TAP)

    Active duty military and current guard and reserve members can receive up to 100% reimbursement of tuition. Our financial aid team processes TAP forms or reservists can mail these forms directly to the address on the TAP form. The military unit, not LR, provides forms.