Lenoir-Rhyne University offers a generous benefits package that includes vacation and sick time, health, dental, and vision insurance, retirements benefits, free undergraduate tuition (tuition remission) for spouse and dependent children and free graduate degree tuition for employees. Additional benefits include two weeks of paid vacation around Christmas, access to university fitness center and discounts from local university partners and community businesses.
Office: Marketing & Communications
Wage Class: Salaried, exempt
Reports to: Associate Vice President for Marketing Communications
Location: Hickory, N.C.
The Social Media & Digital Content Strategist has expertise in digital communications and marketing, digital trends and content best practices, including SEO, content strategy/optimization, paid and organic promotion, social media strategy and tactics, user experience and accessibility. The position requires someone who is intellectually curious, creative, collaborative, team-oriented and client-focused with keen editorial instincts, superb writing skills and the ability to produce and edit content that resonates across multiple digital platforms and that is in alignment with university branding, marketing goals and institutional priorities.
- Maximize the impact of content delivery across Lenoir-Rhyne University digital channels, including institutional and third-party websites, social media, email and digital advertising, by determining the purpose, production, delivery, ongoing management and measurement in support of institutional goals and priorities.
- Write, proofread, edit and fact check content to ensure adherence to institutional branding, university style and appropriate voice/tone across digital channels.
- Assist with the development and implementation of multimedia recruitment and fundraising tools, websites and services.
- Review website content submission requests and make site updates daily. Select, retouch, resize and optimize photos and ensure SEO and accessibility in document attachments.
- Monitor and troubleshoot website issues and escalates as required.
- Co-manages and provides editorial guidance for university social media; provides training on social media best practices, strategy and tactics.
- Train faculty, staff and freelance workers on the content management system, writing for the web, writing on brand and website usability.
- Review website quality assurance checks to identify website misspellings, broken links, accessibility and SEO issues; address issues directly and/or assist in assigning to staff.
- Stay up to date with the latest industry trends and content performance metrics, and use that information to help inform work, drive creative campaigns and shape content strategy
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Experience, Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, marketing, public relations or related field
- 3-5 years of full-time professional work experience in a higher education, nonprofit or agency setting
- Strong interpersonal, verbal communication and organizational skills
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading with demonstrated mastery of grammar, punctuation and AP Style
- Proficiency in identifying and writing engaging content for the web and other digital platforms, and efficacy in moving content from concept to implementation with little editorial oversight
- Strong project management skills: ability to work independently, establish priorities, work within deadlines, organize effectively and multitask with strong attention to detail
- Understanding of web content best practices, including knowledge of industry standards for information architecture and responsive design, and familiarity with web usability, accessibility and SEO.
- Multi-channel digital campaign experience including SEO, display, mobile, social, paid search and the ability to set key performance indicators and measure impact on website and conversions.
- Digital advertising or paid search marketing experience with a strong understanding of current online marketing concepts, strategy and best practice.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office and experience using Adobe Creative Cloud, including Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Premiere, InDesign and Acrobat DC
- Experience with Drupal, WordPress and web content management systems; knowledge of HTML and CSS is highly desirable.
- Experience using Google Analytics or other website and social media analytical tools
- Experience creating multimedia content, including video and audio is highly desirable
- Excellent client services experience with the ability to positively represent the office and university
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential information
- Willingness and ability to work occasional evenings or weekends to accomplish objectives of the department
About Lenoir-Rhyne University
Lenoir-Rhyne University is a co-educational, private comprehensive liberal arts institution founded in 1891, with its traditional campus located in Hickory, North Carolina, a town of over 40,000, and additional campuses in Asheville and Columbia, SC. Situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Lenoir-Rhyne is about an hour drive from Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and/or Asheville.
By combining the liberal arts with professional studies, the University joins a rich foundation in the arts, humanities, social sciences, languages, religion, and natural sciences with over 50 undergraduate majors and over 25 master’s degree programs. With record enrollments each of the last eight years, the institution now enrolls over 2,500 students at its three locales, and it anticipates continued managed enrollment growth over the coming years as it expands upon its mission. In pursuit of the development of the whole person, Lenoir-Rhyne University seeks to liberate mind and spirit, clarify personal faith, foster physical wholeness, build a sense of community, and promote responsible leadership for service in the world.
Affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), Lenoir-Rhyne promotes a diverse campus open to people from all religious backgrounds. It is an EOE/AA employer under all applicable civil rights laws. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.