Lenoir-Rhyne University offers a generous benefits package that includes vacation and sick time, health, dental, and vision insurance, retirements benefits, free undergraduate tuition (tuition remission) for spouse and dependent children and free graduate degree tuition for employees. Additional benefits include two weeks of paid vacation around Christmas, access to university fitness center and discounts from local university partners and community businesses.
Office: Marketing & Communications
Wage Class: Salaried, exempt
Reports to: Associate Vice President for Marketing Communications
Location: Hickory, N.C.
General Description/Primary Purpose
The Senior Strategic Content Writer is an integral part of the Marketing & Communications team. The role works broadly in all areas of content creation supporting relevant and engaging content for print/digital marketing and communications in a style and tone that conveys the university’s brand. Major responsibilities include writing, developing and organizing content for news stories, press releases, announcements, promotional copy, magazine features, internal communications and other written materials for Lenoir-Rhyne University and various online and print publications.
- Write news stories, press releases, profiles, magazine features and marketing communications copy about all areas of Lenoir-Rhyne and its three campuses.
- Ensure writing includes strong headlines, captivating leads, story accuracy and flow, plus proper grammar and adherence to AP style. Write and organize social media posts related to story content.
- Assist with managing editorial workflow and writing for Lenoir-Rhyne publications, including the university magazine, Profile (2 issues per year), and Southern Bulletin, the newsletter of Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary (2 issues per year), and internal faculty and staff communications. Develop content strategy and outlines, conduct interviews, create and edit content, collect and identify photos and captions and manage review and approval process.
- Write and edit mass communications from across the university — advertisements, brochures, emails, solicitations and event invitations — in alignment with style guidelines and university brand.
- Serve as contact person for media-related inquiries. Respond to media inquiries as well as create and pitch story ideas to build brand awareness of Lenoir-Rhyne University to local, regional and industry media outlets.
- Seek meaningful opportunities for faculty and staff experts to engage media through subject-matter interviews and to provide expert commentary that provides context and deepens the public's understanding of complex issues.
- Other marketing and communications projects and responsibilities as needed or assigned, including coordinating with other departments to ensure the university’s new brand platform is implemented appropriately.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required, masters preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of professional work experience as a writer and editor that required versatility, meeting deadlines, high standards and careful attention to detail.
- Exceptional communication, writing and editing skills and experience working with a wide variety of constituents.
- Experience in journalism, storytelling, student recruitment or fundraising writing.
- Intellectually curious. Innate ability to recognize newsworthy stories and solid story ideas.
- Experience with media relations preferred.
- Mastery of AP style. Advanced fact-checking and proofreading skills.
- Positive, problem-solving attitude and ability to think strategically.
- Experience working collaboratively and constructively with marketing staff, project managers and communicators across an organization.
- Ability to remain confidential.
- Ability to complete multiple simultaneous projects within a deadline and balance long-term projects and day-of rapid responses.
- Demonstrated project management, planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent relationship-building and customer service mindset.
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat Professional.
Required Application Materials
Cover letter, resume and 3-5 writing samples or link to professional portfolio of marketing and communications writing samples that demonstrate experience and abilities.
About Lenoir-Rhyne University
Lenoir-Rhyne University is a co-educational, private comprehensive liberal arts institution founded in 1891, with its traditional campus located in Hickory, North Carolina, a town of over 40,000, and additional campuses in Asheville and Columbia, SC. Situated in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Lenoir-Rhyne is about an hour drive from Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and/or Asheville. By combining the liberal arts with professional studies, the University joins a rich foundation in the arts, humanities, social sciences, languages, religion, and natural sciences with over 50 undergraduate majors and over 25 master’s degree programs. With record enrollments each of the last eight years, the institution now enrolls over 2500 students at its three locales, and it anticipates continued managed enrollment growth over the coming years as it expands upon its mission. In pursuit of the development of the whole person, Lenoir-Rhyne University seeks to liberate mind and spirit, clarify personal faith, foster physical wholeness, build a sense of community, and promote responsible leadership for service in the world.
Affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), Lenoir-Rhyne promotes a diverse campus open to people from all religious backgrounds. It is an EOE/AA employer under all applicable civil rights laws. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.