Marketing Communications Specialist
Office of Marketing & Communications
Wage Class: Salaried, exempt
Reports to: Associate Vice President for Digital Strategy
General Description/Primary Purpose
The Marketing Communications Specialist is an integral part of the Office of Marketing & Communications team. He/she works broadly in all areas of content creation, including the development of strategic, engaging print and digital marketing copy and stories for a variety of internal and external audiences. Major responsibilities include writing, developing and organizing content for news stories, press releases, announcements, promotional copy, internal communications and other materials for Lenoir-Rhyne University and various online and print publications.
- Write news stories, profiles, features and press releases about all areas of Lenoir-Rhyne and its three campuses. Conduct interviews with students, faculty, staff and alumni.
- Assist with managing publications, including the university magazine, Profile (two issues per year), and Southern Bulletin, the newsletter of Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary (two issues per year). Develop content strategy and outlines; create and edit content, collect and identify photos and captions; and manage approval process.
- Write and edit mass communications (such as advertisements, brochures, solicitations and event invitations) from across the university to style guidelines and strategic messaging priorities.
- Serve as contact person for media-related inquiries. Respond to media inquiries as well as create and pitch story ideas to build brand awareness of Lenoir-Rhyne University to local, regional and industry media outlets.
- Seek meaningful opportunities for faculty and staff experts to engage media through subject-matter interviews and to provide expert commentary that provides context and deepens the public's understanding of complex issues.
- Other communications-related responsibilities, as needed, include coordinating with other departments to ensure the university’s new brand platform is implemented appropriately.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required, masters preferred
- Experience in higher education, nonprofit or agency setting preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience as a writer and editor
- Experience with media relations preferred
- Knowledge of AP style
- Exceptional computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat Professional
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills and experience working with a wide variety of constituents
- Ability to remain confidential
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- Demonstrated planning and exceptional organizational skills
- Excellent relationship-building and customer service mindset
- Ability to think strategically
Applicants should include a cover letter, resume and provide 3-5 writing samples that demonstrate relevant work experience.