The position is based on the Hickory campus in the William and Robert Shuford Center for International Education.
Duties and Tasks
- Work the week prior to the semester start date to prepare for the semester, and to attend and participate in J-1 arrival and orientation events, such as preparing dorm rooms, picking students up from the airport, attending the weekend-long orientation, etc.
- Plan, organize and host weekly events for IPALS and Global Village residents. The GA is also responsible for coordinating the planning of global events with Global Village residents and must attend, and engage in, the planned activity. There will be one evening or weekend event per week.
- Develop and distribute a monthly calendar of events that includes office planned activities, campus-wide events and local community events. Send a weekly text reminder to all groups about upcoming events.
- Support J-1 exchange visitors in a variety of ways, including but not limited to, helping them obtain required vaccines, accompanying students to the health center/doctors' offices, taking them to get social security numbers, being on call for emergencies, etc.
- Provide robust support to members of the IPAL program and Global Village residents as needed.
- Share information in a timely manner with the director if students are planning to travel, are in trouble and/or if there is a concern for the health and well-being of the student.
- Work at promotional events on campus as needed and complete basic administrative tasks including copying, filing and data entry.
Supervisor: Brittany Marinelli
Please note that you must be an enrolled student in The Graduate School at Lenoir-Rhyne University to apply for a graduate assistant position.