Location: Hickory, North Carolina
General Description/Primary Purpose
The Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance's primary responsibility is to direct, oversee, and coordinates all aspects of the NCAA Rules compliance program in accordance with all South Atlantic Conference, NCAA and University rules. This position is also responsible for educating all applicable constituents and monitoring activities to ensure compliance with all Lenoir-Rhyne University, NCAA and conference rules and regulations. The position serves as a member of the athletics senior administrative team.
Description of Duties and Tasks
- Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring of compliance systems necessary to support all LR, SAC, and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Responsible for the tracking of NCAA legislation and interpretations, processing waivers, and administering rules violations investigations.
- Coordinate the certification of eligibility process working with the certification team.
- Monitor student-athletes academic progress and eligibility.
- Develop and implement a robust rules education program to ensure all institutional stakeholders are appropriately educated on essential NCAA Division II rules.
- Conduct meetings with all teams periodically to educate student-athletes on key NCAA, athletic department, and SAC rules and regulations.
- Utilize compliance software to monitor eligibility, financial aid, playing and practice season, and any other applicable areas of NCAA rules compliance.
- Serve as a liaison with key units across campus including financial aid, admissions, student life, and academic support services.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the LR Intercollegiate Athletics Committee and chair of the Compliance Committee (sub-committee of the IAC).
- Represent the University at institutional, Conference and NCAA meetings, and serve on internal and external committees.
- Assist with and ensure accurate completion of required NCAA, Conference, and any other federal reports (EADA).
- All Intercollegiate Athletic Staff members are required to follow NCAA DII, SAC, and LR compliance rules, regulations, and department policies and procedures. This will be part of the yearly evaluation process whereby all athletic department staff will be held accountable for all NCAA DII rules compliance.
- Serve on the LR Athletic Department senior administrative team. Participates in long-term strategic planning and provides leadership to the overall athletics department.
- Assists with the development and implementation of departmental policies and procedures.
- Assists with game day administration support on occasion.
- Some weekend and evening hours are required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Athletics.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree Required, Master’s Degree Preferred
- Experience in higher education athletics administration preferred
- Has a working knowledge of NCAA Division II Rules Compliance
- Critical thinking, problem-solving, and evaluation skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to function effectively in pressure situations
- Attention to detail and ability to meet time demands
- Strong organization skills with the ability to multi-task
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment
- Reports to the Vice President for Athletics
- Salaried, exempt, full-time position