Fri Apr 5 2013
HICKORY, N.C. — Lenoir-Rhyne University Playmakers will present Rules by Cynthia Lord April 17-20. This story was adapted for the stage by several students at the university. Ms. Lord is the 2013 Little Read author and will appear on campus on Saturday, April 13.
Rules is the story of Catherine, an artist and writer of rules, as she learns the difference between fitting in and real acceptance over her summer vacation. She navigates friendship with the new neighbor girl, struggles with parents and her brother, bullying from the kid down the street, and a transformative relationship with Jason who uses a wheelchair and a communication board.
Some people think they know who you are, but really they don’t.
The cast and crew feature several area high school students as well as LR students:
- Catherine – Charity Simmons (Senior, Theatre major, Hickory NC)
- Jordan Makant (High School student, Hickory NC)
- Anthony Chambers (Senior, Theatre major, Claremont NC)
- Brittany King (Freshman, Theatre major, High Point NC)
- Hannah P. Simmons (Senior, Theatre & English majors, Hickory NC)
- Cody Stuckenschneider (Freshman, Theatre major, Winston-Salem NC)
- Stage Manager – Jamie Julian (Junior, Art major, Claremont NC)
- Assistant Stage Manager – Hannah Makant (High School student, Hickory NC)
The performances at Lenoir-Rhyne will last approximately one hour. The production is appropriate for all ages and offers an opportunity to discuss literature, performance, and assumptions about disability. The lobby will feature an art exhibit by students from Conover Special Education School. All performances will be held in the Belk Centrum on campus. Performance details are: Wednesday, April 17; Thursday, April 18; and Friday, April 19 at 7:30pm and Saturday, April 20 at 2:30 and 7:30pm. Tickets are $10.00 for adults, $5.00 for seniors and non-LR students, and free for L-R students with ID. Reservations can be made online at theatre.lr.edu or 800-328-PLAY.LRU News | No Comments