- Admissions Home
- Request Information
- Meet the Staff
- See the Campus
- L-R on Tour
- Admissions Requirements [PDF]
- Cost & Financial Aid
- Transfer Students
- Graduate Programs
- What's Hickory Really Like?
- High School Programs
- Study Abroad/Int'l Students
- Lifelong Learning
- RIBN Program
- Exchange Students
- En Español
Red & Black Days 2013: Course Registration Instructions and Materials for Transfers
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BUILDING A SCHEDULE
In order to build some sample schedules for Fall, you will need the following documents.
- Advising and Registration Tips [PDF]
- LRU Catalog for Course Descriptions and Prerequisites
- Fall Schedule of Courses
- Core Curriculum Checklist [PDF]
- Degree Check Sheets
- Daily Time Grid [PDF]
You should look over these materials carefully as this can be a bit confusing the first time around. Don’t panic if it becomes overwhelming… this is just to get you started! We’ll be here to help you when you arrive for Red & Black Day in June!
We understand that your requirements as a Transfer student are a little different than as a First-Year student since you have specific courses that you will need to complete your major.
It is important for you to forward your official transcripts from any previous colleges to our Registrar's Office. Additionally, if you have AP, IB, CLEP or other credit, you must have the official scores sent to us as well. We cannot grant transfer credit unless we have official documentation from all sources.
In planning a schedule of classes for the Fall, you need to consider the following:
- Make sure to have your transcript evaluation (check-list) on hand. This is sent to you after acceptance to LR from the Registrar's Office to show what has transferred in and what is remaining to complete. This is very helpful when planning your schedule.
- Most Transfers have a mix of core curriculum courses and major courses to complete. With your Fall schedule, we recommend trying to complete as many core curriculum courses as possible in order to remain on schedule for your upper level major courses. Your advisor can help with this determination as well when you arrive at Red & Black Day.
- If you are transferring in less than 26 credits, you must sign up for the FYE 191. Choices are shown in the Check List for the Core as well as in the Fall Schedule of Courses.
- Plan to take 14-17 credit hours (12 is the minimum full time load). We strongly recommend that new students do NOT take the maximum load of 18 credit hours.
- Use the Daily Time Grid to make sure your chosen courses do not overlap.
We suggest making two or more schedules using the Daily Time Grid and bringing them with you to Red & Black Day. On that day you will meet with a faculty advisor, go over your schedules, and then register for the semester. The advisor will be able to answer questions you may have about courses or your desired major, as well as to help you navigate through any closed courses (courses already filled to capacity).
If you are completely overwhelmed by this information, please contact your Enrollment Services Counselor at 800.277.5721 or reach them by email or online chat by visiting http://www.lr.edu/admissions/staff/meet-the-staff. If you can’t reach your personal counselor, feel free to contact anyone in the Enrollment Management Division for assistance.
We look forward to hosting you on campus this June!